All recipes by Jules Cahalane/Head Chef and Author|
Inn on the Rio, Taos, New Mexico
This recipe developed by Jules at Inn on the Rio was featured in "Better Homes and Gardens" Magazine! Wow!
These Christmas cookies have special memories for me. I remember as a child making these cookies with my mother in our family kitchen. Forming this rich dough into logs, baking them and then frosting them was an exercise in patience until we could eat these delicious cookies with the eggnog flavored frosting!
White Granulated Sugar
- Beat 1 cup softened butter with 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 2 tsp. rum flavoring, and 3/4 cup white granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Blend in 1 egg.
- Sift 3 cups flour with 1 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 tsp. salt; add to butter mixture and mix well.
- Chill dough for one hour.
- Shape strips of dough on a sugared board/counter into long rolls 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Cut into 3 inch lengths and place on buttered cookie sheets.
- Makes about 6 dozen.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 350 degrees, until lightly browned, for about 12-14 minutes.
- Cream 1/3 cup butter with 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 tsp. rum flavoring.
- Blend in 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar and 2 TB. light cream; beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread frosting on top and sides of cookies; mark with tines of a fork to resemble bark.
- Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Can be made ahead and frozen.
Close this window to go back to main Inn on the Rio website.