All recipes by Jules Cahalane/Head Chef and Author
Inn on the Rio, Taos, New Mexico
Breakfast Pear Loaf
This recipe developed by Jules at Inn on the Rio was featured in "Best of the Best from New Mexico" Cookbook, the "St. Louis Post Dispatch" and in "Innkeepers' Best Quick Breads" Cookbook!
A wonderful alternative to Banana Bread, Breakfast Pear Loaf is moist and delicious. It has become a requested favorite among the guests. This recipe makes three loaves.
1-1/2 cup butter
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 TB baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 TB vanilla
3/4 cup milk
6 cups flour
3 cup coarsely chopped pears
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pam three 9" x 5" glass loaf pans.
- Beat together the margarine and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Combine with the margarine mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the chopped pears and nuts. Stir until just blended. Spoon the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean.
- Do not over bake.
Print this recipe