All recipes by Jules Cahalane/Head Chef and Author
Inn on the Rio, Taos, New Mexico
Apple Pear Oven Pancake
This recipe developed by Jules at Inn on the Rio was featured in the "Noblesville Daily Times" Newspaper and in "Inn on the Rio's Favorite Recipes" Cookbook!
This recipe serves about 6 people; but I've seen as few as two hungry skiers demolish it all!
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TB butter
1 apple & 1 pear unpeeled (or both apples or both pears)
1 TB chopped fresh or 2 tsp. freeze-dried chives
2 TB brown sugar
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices best quality smoked bacon cooked,
drained and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pam an oval or rectangular oven-proof baking dish.
- Beat flour, milk, salt and eggs until smooth. Pour into dish. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
- While pancake is baking, melt butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pears, apples and chives in butter, stirring frequently, until slightly soft. Stir in sugar. Do not over cook!
- Spoon pear mixture onto pancake. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake about 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chives and the crumbled bacon.
- Serve with warmed maple syrup.
Print this recipe